Salad picking – the outer leaves

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Salad picking – the outer leaves

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  chris 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

chris
    Participant

Hey Charles – I have your book on salad greens and have been picking the outer leaves of a few lettuces with great success last year on a trial bed. I enjoy this way of harvesting. I am a market gardener on a 1/4 acre, so I would like to be more efficient at this technique. Is there any advice early in the season when the plants are smaller? How long do you wait to do your first pick? I have damaged a couple young plants and taken a few out this year. Do you generally do a first sweep and get rid of the bottom dead leaves when they are young? Thanks Charles.

charles

See gull best wait until leaves are touching for plants at 9-10″/22-25cm
    Yes the first pick is hardest and there are yellow, reject leaves below the good ones
    Every successive pick is easier and quicker
    Happy harvests

chris
    Participant

Thanks for the advice Charles. Do you find that slugs are issues on those bottom leaves initially? I’m just worried about having rotted leaves that close to the ground.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags