Sarpo potatoes

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Sarpo potatoes

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dalesman 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ElleGee
    Participant

I live in France and everyone here sprays their potatoes with Bouille Bordelaise (based on copper sulphate – Bordeaux mixture in English?) to control blight. I am keen to try the Sarpo potatoes in order to avoid spraying with anything.
    I have bought Sarpo Mira and Axona seed potatoes, but have read some somewhat negative reports about their flavour and cooking quality. Any comments from cooks in the forum? I saw your suggestion, Charles, re cutting off the tops of the Sarpo in September.
    Another question: if I want to plant these as a experiment on blight control, would it be foolish to plant other varieties that are not considered so resistant at the same time? We get a potato here called Victoria which is delicious! But if it gets blight am I going to put the Sarpos at risk too?

charles

ElleGee, Sarpos are just so blight resistant and will not be affected if nearby leaves have blight.
    They have good writer-ups by chefs, for flavour. As long as you like drier, more starchy potatoes, good for roasting for example.

ElleGee
    Participant

Many thanks for your quick and useful reply Charles. I’m really keen to try the Sarpos.

Dalesman
    Participant

Sarpo seem to just keep growing and growing till frost hits, thus you can have big yields. For quite good flavour, harvest before the tubers get too big.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags