Sauerkraut Cabbage Variety?

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Sauerkraut Cabbage Variety?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Stringfellow 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Charles and HNY. Do you know which variety of cabbage the Germans traditionally use for making sauerkraut? I’ve used filderkraut so far, with success, but wondered if there was a “best” variety to grow for this purpose – bingenhiemer seem to suggest “Domarna”.

charles

Thanks Tris and same to you.
    Many have told me Filderkraut but perhaps there are regional variations.

charles

Thanks Tris and same to you.
    Many have told me Filderkraut but perhaps there are regional variations.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thank you. I’ve been wondering about the grating process used traditionally too. When in Germany the sauerkraut is usually prepared in very fine strands and I like this texture, as opposed to my diy method of chopping away with a chefs knife! Do you or Steph have any ideas how this is done? I’m searching the web in spare moments!

UdoS
    Participant

Hello Stringfellow
    attached is a picture of a shredder that is typically used in Germany for cutting cabbage for Sauerkraut. I am not aware that there is any variety preferred for Sauerkraut, any White Cabbage should do, Filderkraut is certainyl widely used.
    Good luck
    Udo

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks Udo, that’s helpful and I’ll look into the slicer too. Sauerkraut is another great way of having nutritious organic produce from your plot through those long winter months 🙂

Freed
    Participant

I used Spring Hero cabbages last year. I had a glut and the heads were beginning to split so I made sauerkraut. Just chopped it up with a knife then pounded it to bruise it. Very successful. I hope to do it again this year.

Stringfellow
    Participant

That’s how I made mine Freed, by bruising. Some recipes suggest using salt.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags