Saving Seed Potato – Scottish Pink Fir Apple

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Saving Seed Potato – Scottish Pink Fir Apple

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

macson
    Participant

Hi Charles and everyone on the Forums,

I’ve had a great year (well I think so) for potatoes. My favourite is Scottish Pink Fir Apple. I was a bit late in planting (6th May), but they grew to over 6 feet. Not sure if they should do that. I was wondering if they would do even better if they were pruned so as to produce more side shoots. Anyway, I produced 25 kg from 20 plants in the first crop of a raised bed 3.1m X 1.2m. I am hoping they will keep OK in hessian sacks in the garage. A lot of them are 6-8 inches long and they taste delicious. All sorts of different shapes. Pictures down below.

My question is : Which of the potatoes would be best to save as seed for next year? Should I save the long ones and cut into pieces or is it better to save the smaller ones and plant whole? There are as I say some strange shapes very nobbly. I can break up some of the ones that have multiple legs like the 2nd photo.

I am saving seed potatoes from other varieties as well and they are roughly egg shape and size.

Any advice would be welcome.

Great Course on 12th September!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

charles

Lovely potatoes.
    For seed of Pink Fir I would save larger ones of even shape, no nobbles. They are small potatoes and a seed potato needs stored energy to promote early growth.
    For other varieties, egg size is good but no smaller.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags