Savoy Cabbage: Second Harvest?

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Savoy Cabbage: Second Harvest?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  JD 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Vivian G
    Participant

Hello everybody!

After harvesting my savoy cabbages I didn’t twist out the roots and left a couple of leaves on the plants. Now they have all formed side shoots, which seem to be hearting up. Has anybody got experience with this? Do they actually grow a second round of hearts?

Vivian

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Vivian,
    Yes they will form tiny cabbages that are really delicious. Some people do this by cutting a cross on the top of the stem left in the ground and each segment produces a tiny cabbage – usually. Lettuce can do the same but its hardly worth it in this case.
    Don.

JD
    Participant

Hi Vivian,
    I second what Don says. By the way your garden looks absolutely beautiful from your photo. Wonderful setting. Got green horns – what me? I’m sure you’re going to grow amazing crops with no dig. A compost mulch tends to protect the soil from erosion and compost ‘locks together’ more than soil, particularly if firm. Also plant roots can travel a fair distance laterally trough the compost which also helps to stabilise the structure. Good luck.
    Jan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags