sawfly

Community Community Garden Problems Pests sawfly

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

ashleigh
    Participant

hello, i have a whitecurrant and a gooseberry bush that i have been eagerly awaiting planting this winter, now that we have land. however this summer they have both been attacked really badly by sawfly. despite pulling off what i thought was all the caterpillars more than once, still all the leaves ended up getting eaten.

i will be buying more fruit bushes to plant on the land, so should i keep these two away from the land? they are growing out of their pots in the yard now, so should i dispose of them? or is there an organic way to make them sawfly-free? and how bad a problem is sawfly – it didn’t affect the berry yields this year, but will it kill the plant eventually?

charles

I suspect that the sawfly are performing their time honoured duty of clearing weak growth (due to root restriction) to make way for healthy growth. It sounds as though your bushes need potting on asap and could recover, then should fully recover when planted out. The "organic way" is to plant them in fertile soil. No guarantee of zero sawfly next year but I would be surprised if it decimated them again.

ashleigh
    Participant

oh great, ok. that makes sense and i’m glad i’ve now got room to take better care of them!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags