Scottish thistles and docks.

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Scottish thistles and docks.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Sharon Tayside 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Have read your book, bought a stony acre of weeds, black plastic and 6 tons of old cow manure just delivered. Am going to start our experiment in the morning. Are you really sure just laying manure on tough perennials like docks, thistles and couches grass will be ok? Don’t want the farmers hurting themselves rolling down the hill laughing! Sharon

charles

I recommend digging docks as they persist otherwise. Thistles vary, I had creeping thistle here in parts of the garden last year and needed to keep pulling some stems which regrew until they were exhausted. Couch persists for up to a year if thick at first so you will need the polythene on top of compost for maybe a whole season, starting from now.

Thanks. I was afraid you’d say that. I did start digging, with a fork and putting the worms back, feeling guilty. It’ll take a while, but we’ll get there.

vegypete

ifind a narrow bladed trenching spade the best tool for digging docks out of the ground,you can get right down to the bottom of the tap root and then lever them out its the best tool for the job i have found so far ………..pete

davidk
    Participant

Or/& try this:
    http://lazydogtools.co.uk/how_to_use_lazy_dog.html
    Docks need to be done when ground is wet or else you’ll loose some of the tap root
    It’s been great this winter with the ground so wet they just slid out!

Thanks Davidk. I looked at the lazy dog tools. Crikey they look top drawer. I’m going to call them in the morning. Torched quite a lot of beds with a Steel x300 so one of these tools should help get out the regrowth. Sharon

Thanks Vegypete. I struggle to dig with a spade. Just not strong enough and ground is just too stony to get into. Horses have been grazing this field for 11 years so pretty compacted. Sharon

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags