seed addiction!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  DemelzaCat 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

Having said that I was going to try and rationalise what I grow this year to make it a bit easier, I have just been through my seed box and found that this year I will be growing over 90 varieties of veg from seed! oops!!
    Does explain why I get a bit busy.
    Anyone else suffer with a similar compulsion – to keep trying new things?

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Bluebell. I did head in that direction in my first year after getting my allotment; I ended up giving a load of potato seed away to a mate as I’d gone crazy with my order! I’m a bit better now; I make a plan and generally stick with it and, at least at the moment, I’m trying to grow our mainstays better as a kind of foundation for the future. Variety is the spice of life though, and I will be trying some companion ideas too. Have fun whatever you choose to grow….

charles

My surplus is French beans which look so tempting at seed-ordering time. And I need so few plants!

Rhys
    Participant

There’s a healthy experimentation for a few years if you have a new plot or have moved to a new area – it lets you find out which varieties grow best for you. Logic then dictates that you grow a core set of reliable favourites as bankers, but I must say that interest remains if you have a disciplined approach to continued experimentation also.

bluebell
    Participant

Glad I’m not the only one! I do keep on with a few core favourites but every year seem to find new ones that I want to try, so I’m guessing it wont get much better any time soon.

Happy and productive New Year to you all.
    Bluebell

Katia
    Participant

I blame this bad, wet weather. Too much time to sit at the fire browsing the online seed catalogues. I’ve already selected at least 7 varieties of black tomato that I MUST have, that is on top of the 10 or so other varieties that I already can’t live without, and that’s just tomatoes. (Don’t get me started on potatoes!)
    If it was dry I’d be out cutting hell out of the lavender hedge or something useful.
    You are not alone Bluebell!

Karen
    Participant

haha! guilty as charged! Don’t think anyone REEEEEALLY wants to know how many seeds I have collected and hoarded! Especially toms!

Rhys
    Participant

Karen

I”ve hoarded 15 different strains of tomato seeds alone -but I’ve saved them myself so I don’t have to pay for them!

Karen
    Participant

Hats off to you Rhys… that you save seeds… I have read up about it…. it sounds rather tedious and needs to be really careful with cross-pollination.

My biggest weakness is wanting to TRY lots of varieties…

When we had our garden and polytunnel 4 years ago… I went absolutely insane not knowing what I was in for… for fear of the seeds not germinating….

I am not exaggerating here… about 30 varieties of toms and about 300 plants… lol! Everyone thought I had gone mad!

This year I am trying to reduce the varieties… and I have counted that I am only going to try about 15 varieites…

Don’t even want to mention the pumpkins and cucumbers too! lol!

DemelzaCat
    Participant

Guilty! By April the whole greenhouse floor; summerhouse; a couple of mini-greenhouses and all the windowsills in the house are covered in seed trays. All the usual veggies are there – several varieties of each, obviously, and some more unusual ones, plus most of the herbs (I don’t quite know why I keep persisting with lemon grass!) and all the companion-planting flowers. It has something to do with not wanting to waste seeds I think. I could probably stock a whole second full-size plot with what I give away at the allotments. At least everyone else benefits!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags