Seed potato merchant

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Seed potato merchant

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  John 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

susan
    Participant

Good afternoon Charles,
    I have bought our seed potatoes this year from a Scottish supplier (http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk/) and they cost me much cheaper than last year and so far among all the 2.5 kg bags I have opened I have only seen one potato with small cut. Last year when I bought from another supplier in the south England they had lots of cut and mouldy potatoes.
    I choose my potatoes by looking up for each variety in the Potato Book by Alan Roman (Frances Lincoln Limited Publishers. I bought it from Foyles bookshop in London) which contains the most descriptive and illustrated list of all potato varieties available in the UK.
    I noticed that JBA SEED had all of them in their comprehensive web site, plus many sundries (hessiyan sacks, planter bags, chicken manure fertilizer and even onions and shallots and garlic!).
    They also sell 25 kg bags for those who want to grow more.
    I thought others in the forum may like to know about this since I noticed many only know very mundane and ordinary places with limited variety. I like to call JBA Seeds of Scotland as Potato Haven!
    Kind regards

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks for the link Susan, they certainly have a vast selection.

Are any of the seed potatoes they offer grown to organic standards? Whilst not essential, I find this desirable.

I’ll certainly consider JBA next year when choosing my spuds, thanks again.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Just found them – 17 varieties!

Rhys
    Participant

Desiree, Sarpo Mira, Picasso have all grown rapidly and vigorously. The small-scale purchases of Arran Pilot, Red Duke of York, Pentland Javelin and Cara have also done well.

Obviously the final test is in terms of yield and taste, but to date, everything is going very well.

John
    Participant

Has anyone ever tried Skea based in Scotland ?. They grow organic and conventional seed potatoes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags