seed potato suppliers

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing seed potato suppliers

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  davidk 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

ashleigh
    Participant

Hello, we have decided we will be needing 800 seed potatoes this year :) which sadly means we’ve outgrown our local Potato Day. Interested to know where others get yours and where might have good prices for this size of order.

Also, they seem to be sold by the kilo or by the sack – so would it be 10-15 seed potatoes per kilo? And how many are in a sack? I find this confusing as the size varies so much.

jjat8cv
    Participant

I have the opposite problem. I only have two beds on my allotment for potatoes and as I like to have several different varieties have always bought them loose from a well known chain of garden centres. This year they are only supplying them in 1 or 2 kg bags prepacked. Luckily I have found a local garden centre (Monkton Elm) who have a tremendous range of potatoes loose at £2.29 a kilo. They get my support from now on.

SpadelessAde
    Participant

Might be worth having a look at the Alan Romans website? Not actually bought from them before as I don’t need these sort of quantities either, but I believe it’s an excellent place to get good quality spuds, and as I understand it, plenty of different varieties too.

ashleigh
    Participant

i’ll have a look at alan romans. so far i have also found skea.eu, they are in scotland. £12-15 for 25kg of organic seed potatoes.

You could try http://www.kingsseedsdirect.com. I’ve just ordered some organic Sarpo mira from them. Seem to have a good range but you need to ring to check what’s available. About £1/kg for a 25kg sack + delivery. Count per kilo depends on the variety but I’m sure they will let you know average count.

Jayjay
    Participant

I find the Potato Days very useful, you can buy 1 tuber or 150 and last year they were 17p each or £1.50 per 10, (including a mix of varieties).
    I am off to the Hampshire Potato days at Whitchurch this weekend for my mix of several varieties.
    You can also get other stuff there, runner bean and pea seeds, onion and shallot sets, organic plants, seed swaps and other goodies. I bought my copper trowel and hoes from Implementations there one year.
    Here’s a link that covers a large area of the Country: http://www.potatoday.org/potatodays.htm

davidk
    Participant

Thank you Jayjay,

http://www.potatoday.org/potatodays.htm

This link is fantastic & gives us all opportunity to buy tubers for this year @ incredible prices & organic if we want too! & will keep the link for next year.
    & also talk to the experts or as the chap’s wife told me ‘the potatohead’!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags