seed saving: Wassabi rocket

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing seed saving: Wassabi rocket

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

Hi Have any of you tried saving seed from this? Mine is in the tunnel so I think little chance of crossing with other brassica? However I’m unsure how to tell when it is ripe enough to harvest the seed? Presumably just before the pods are dried and then finish drying off elsewhere in order to prevent rampant self seeding?

charles

I have tried similar with poor results because brassicas need to cross pollinate with 6-10 others to widen the gene pool. See http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedsavinginfo.html for excellent info.
    Seed saving is not all straightforward and for some veg you need a lot of space!

bluebell
    Participant

Thanks Charles
    May still try as I have about a dozen that have run to flower, but good to know that I should probably buy some too.

charles

Yes worth a try is you have a dozen, I would pull the plants when about half the seed-pods are dry and brown, then hang in an airy place for 2-4 weeks, then lay on a sheet on concrete and walk on the plants to break the pods, etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags