Seeds of cross-pollinated pumpkins

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Seeds of cross-pollinated pumpkins

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  susan 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

susan
    Participant

Good evening Charles,
    This year I planted 9 varieties of pumpkin and winter squashes to see which ones I like best.. I just love all of them. I am now saving their seeds to plant next year, however having read about cross- pollination of cucubrita plants I wonder if this leads to meaningful crop next year or I have to buy new seeds which is not what I want as my pumpkins seeds are really good and plump and may give better plants.

Charles, what you think. Have you ever planted seeds of such cross-pollinated ones and what was the result?
    I just wish next harvest have more and more varieties for eating and looking at in autumn and winter next year. I am fascinated by the idea.

Thanks.

charles

I agree it seems a shame not to sow healthy seeds. For sure they would grow lovely plants and if you have not grown courgettes (zucchini) or ornamental gourds nearby, you stand fair chance of growing some interesting varieites of squash.

Why not sow a few to see, let us know next year, there will be surprises and I hope you like them!

susan
    Participant

Oh my God! I had also lots of courgette varieties planted nearby!
    So my seeds may end up producing plants tasting like courgette-pumpkins. I don’t think there was a way to avoid this as even if I did not gave courgettes nearby the neighbouring plots would have them.
    It means I have to buy new seeds again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags