Separate planting for different squash varieties

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Separate planting for different squash varieties

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  CMDHH 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Chode
    Participant

Hi Charles

I am going mad on squash this year, and have between 2-6 specimens each of 8 different varieties to plant out on my allotment. Aside from trying to work out where I am going to try and fit them all in, and how I am going to grow them vertically (my cunning plan to try and fit them all in), I was wondering if different varieties can be interspersed and grown side by side – or should they be separated to their own beds, in case cross pollination means that the fruit doesn’t stay true to the parent plant? I know you are supposed to separate sweetcorn, but not sure about squash.

Thanks

Chode

charles

No worries about that Chode, it is only the seeds which are cross pollinated (as with sweetcorn but we eat the seed) so feel free to mix them and have fun with multi-level growing, I hope your plot has some shelter.

Chode
    Participant

Thanks Charles – have planted out the first batch under a temporary cloche/poly tunnel type thing – there has been quite a cold wind these last few days, plus some torrential showers, so thought they would appreciate some protection. As I mentioned, I am planning to grow them vertically as much as possible, but somewehat perplexed at how to achieve this – both in terms of the strength of the support, and the cost of the supporting materials. Would a bamboo wigwam be strong enough?

Chode

charles

Bamboo is too weak, think of the weight of your lovely squash. I have only seen it in other gardens, not sure what to advise, any other tips?

Suella
    Participant

I live in the Loughborough area but don’t know how relevant this location is. I have built a sturdy bean frame with chicken wire and allowed squash to climb up part of this. Would the elevation of the vines be counter indicated for the ripening of squash generally? Or are we far enough north that the idea might not work well?

It is a nuisance removing all the bean vines at the end or the season and I’ll probably find the same with the squash vines, but hoped to have your opinion on the practicality of saving space in this way.

Thanks for any comments you can make,
    Suella

Wellies
    Participant

I was wondering this too.
    I would like to save the seed from our pumpkins and squash but was told that if I grew them together they would get cross pollinated and the saved seed wouldn’t grow true.

You could use hazel sticks for your supports. Find a farmer with a hedge like ours with hazel that was cut a couple of years ago and has now grown thick long stems. These work well, and then I fire them through the wood chipper when they get weak.

CMDHH
    Participant

I am growing 2 plants from saved seed of Flat White Boer pumpkin. Neither looks like its parent or the other. The Real Seed Catalogue has a good illustration of this: http://www.realseeds.co.uk/breedsquash.html

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags