Shock horror

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dalesman 5 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

offwego
    Participant

Shock horror I actually found 3 weed seedings in my no dig onion bed today the first of the year. Totally wind blown from the adjoining overgrown plot
    Plot neighbours are asking if I am coming down very early in the morning as this year they never see me weeding, truth is I haven’t had any 😀
    My hoes are looking very neglected though.
    This system is far easier to maintain once it’s done. I also find water retention is far better as well. With my old soil as soon as I watered it disappeared now the water is held in the compost .

charles

Hello offwego and I love the humour in your comment.
    The difference is indeed so interesting and stark, one wonders why so much digging still happens, and whether your neighbours really think that!
    We notice when watering the dig bed of my trial that it caps easily and then runs off, compared to soaking into the compost of the no dig bed and being absorbed.

offwego
    Participant

Hi Charles
    At present only a half of my plot is actually no dig in beds the other half being traditional dig.
    As for the watering, I watered both last night
    Tonight after a very hot day temperatures reaching 19.5 the no dig side still had moisture contained within the compost albeit just below the surface yet the dig side was bone dry and needed twice as much water applied.
    Not very scientific I know but it’s my findings to date.
    The no dig is far less work all round.

Rhys
    Participant

Offwego

Up here in NW London, we are now well into what is becoming an annual mini-drought, with very little rain in May this year (last year late March to early July) and temps more akin to late July/early August (low to mid 20s by day, 10-13 by night). Wonderful for growing tomatoes in pots, a greater challenge for soil based vegetables.

Yesterday I planted out celery plants and although the surface was bone dry, my trowel still removed well structured moisture-filled cones when creating a hole for the plants in 8cm pots to fit into. The area has not been watered at all this season, but plenty of winter moisture still remains.

I have been experimenting by trying to water onions only every 7-10 days, but even in a no dig bed, onions needed water two days running after looking a bit stressed. I was giving around three gallons per square metre.

Like you, weeds are few and are removed easily.

Carrots are growing away healthily without munching, always a good test for soil in good heart.

Dalesman
    Participant

Three weeds must have been taxing to remove! You could try geese next time: mine are brilliant in maturing allium beds, although their flat feet aren’t so good on young onion seedlings.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags