Shortage of Brown Compost Material

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Shortage of Brown Compost Material

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Ray Fidler
    Participant

My first year of No Dig and all is going well and Im delighted with the volume of produce. I have a problem getting the volume of brown material required for my compost heap. The result is my temperature in the bin is a constant 30degrees. The biggest short fall of brown material is woody items. As a lateral thought is okay to use natural decorative bark as a substitute ?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Ray

JD
    Participant

Scrunched up paper, egg boxes and non-glossy cardboard are (free) browns as a suggestion. Supermarkets often have boxes.
    Jan

charles

Yes Jan’s ideas are good Ray, and preferable to the bark in that I don’t think bark will contribute much heat.
    In fact I am puzzled, as too much green usually heats up, for a while anyway.
    Good to hear you are enjoying big harvests.

Ray Fidler
    Participant

Many thanks for your help. Ray

Rhys
    Participant

Ray

I have pruned a variety of trees and hedges in the summer and this provides a good balance of brown and green, particularly when you cut back summer growth on fruit trees or other trees in the gardens, with leaves plus thin twigs the result.

I do use cardboard, newspapers and egg boxes too when nothing else is around.

If all else fails, add a few shovel loads of soil!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags