Should an apple tree on a garden lawn be encircled with earth?

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Should an apple tree on a garden lawn be encircled with earth?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Paul Clarke 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Paul Clarke
    Participant

I want to find out whether an apple tree on a garden lawn should be encircled by a bed of earth. When we planted our apple tree about fourteen years ago, we dug out a round bed in the lawn about two metres across, but over the years the grass has grown down into it, and it now covers the earth completely.
    It does not seem to affect the tree, because the apples are good and large, but I am just wondering if they would be even better if I put compost around the tree. I am not hoping for the tree to get bigger, in fact I prune it back to a certain size each Winter. Anyway, if the answer is that compost would make the apples better, then I will dig out the grass to make the bed again. My compost is made of fruit and veg cuttings, lots of tea leaves (no bags), some grass and general garden cuttings.

Last July I posted a question about how much I should thin apples on our Jupiter apple tree, and I got replies from Charles and Rhys. Following your advice, I picked off and snipped off about 400 apples this year, although I did not get round to it till June. I am pleased to report that the apples left on the tree are a lot bigger now, and another benefit is that I do not have far too many apples, so thank you.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags