Siting a compost bin?

Community Community Garden Problems Disease Siting a compost bin?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  grannyjanny 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

grannyjanny
    Participant

We need to move our compost bin. It’s one of the green hexaganol ones that holds a fair amount of compost. We also need a flowering cherry tree cutting down as it’s leaning rather precariously towards the chicken run. I wondered if the tree was cut as low as possible would that area be suitable for the composter. The tree does have some fungus around the base.

charles

Your idea sounds good, and fungi are good for the compost heap. I would scrape soil away from around the trunk before cutting the tree, so you can cut really low and the remaining trunk and roots can finish decomposing afterwards without being in the way.

grannyjanny
    Participant

Thank you Charles. We just need a man with a chain saw.

grannyjanny
    Participant

The man with the chainsaw has been, luckily he’s a good friend & neighbour & can make use of the wood. There’s a fair bit of sawdust about. Would I be better trying to get it where the compost bin is going or should I remove the perennial weeds, sprinkle some BF&B & then spread a thick layer of compost from the bin over the sawdust? I’m planning on planting fruit in this area & possibly a tripod of peas. I’m also removing a Lonicera Fragrantisima so the soil will be quite depleted.

charles

If it is thick sawdust I would not bury it under compost or manure as it will take nitrogen to rot down. It would be fine in the compost heap – or on the surface of compost and manure.

grannyjanny
    Participant

Thank you Charles.I can’t wait to get it sorted.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags