Slug pellets when and how to use them

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Slug pellets when and how to use them

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ashleigh 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Stevie342000

Just a quick question: I recently read or heard that the best time to apply slug pellets is in February or March?

As this is when the new eggs hatch and if you catch them before they have a chance to breed then you lessen their impact in future months.

Is there any merit in this?

charles

Not sure, best time is never really but in extreme sluggy conditions I would use a very few, say one per plant, and that could well be now as slugs are more active in warm weather, also they are breeding now to leave slug eggs overwinter. I prefer the night time foray with a torch but appreciate this is difficult at allotments. If pellets are placed under something damp, one per station, so birds cannot eat them, then dead slugs are collected in the morning for the same reason, their population will be reduced. Keeping edges tidy with no overgrown areas near tender seedlings is a major help, as you will have noticed. Bark is sometimes a shelter for slugs.

grannyjanny
    Participant

I read a few years ago that if you cut a circle in a lidded container & put the slug pellets in there then they are out of harms way. You still need to dispose of them of course. We have hedgehogs in the garden so really won’t risk putting any down. Plants though it annoying to lose them are replaceable HH are not.

ashleigh
    Participant

does anyone know if they are as harmless to hedgehogs and birds as the manufacturers make out? and do they work?

after spending too much money on beer for our slugs we are are now going to experiment with yeast & water traps as we heard it’s the yeast in the beer that attracts them

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags