Slugs

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  SpadelessAde 12 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Pete Budd
    Participant

A row of caulis under fleece has been demolished on my most fertile plot. As usual my brassicas are planted in land recently mulched with garden compost but I have not experienced so much slug activity in recent times. Are we looking at a downside of “no dig”.

Pete

Ros

or is it the down side [one of them] of all the rain we have been having?

charles

Yes I have been amazed at slug proliferation recently!

Comparing slug damage to vegetables on the dig/no dig experiment, radishes and lettuce on the dug beds have more holes than radish and lettuce on the undug, same sowings. I find that slugs prefer the clay surface of dug soil and seem less comfortable in or on the surface compost of undug. 

SpadelessAde
    Participant

I have been using ‘Slug Gone’ in the last couple of years with much success – (it’s made into pellets from dried sheep’s wool and apparently slugs don’t like the tiny protrusions – a bit like velcro!) – I’ve planted quite a few lettuces recently with Slug gone round each one, and none have been attacked at all, even in this wet weather. If this is of any interest, you can buy it online.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags