slugs and snails

Community Community Garden Problems Pests slugs and snails

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

My son who lives in Coombe Bissett near Salisbury is literally having everything he plants eaten by slugs and snails. He is reluctant to put down slug plets and has been checking every night, but by morning anything planted has been eaten. Any ideas?

englishlady

I have been reading about beer baths for slugs.  I thought they just drank some of it and staggered off elsewhere.  Seems they fall in actually.

It involves sinking a yogurt pot into various places where the slug has to travel to get to the goodies, filling it with beer, and waiting.  The yogurt tub has to be level with the top of the soil.  Greusome job disposing of the contents but everyone I have read about says it is brilliant.

Another tip from a lady on here is spent coffee grounds.  Ask your local coffee shop for the grounds, spread them around the edges of the plants.  Apparently slugs and snails hate walking on them.

Finally, and this sounds reasonably sensible to me, save all your egg shells.  Wash them, pound them down to small pieces in a pestel and mortar or similar, then scatter these around the crops.  The slugs dont like walking on sharp shells.  Wonder if this would work with seashells also ?

Hope this helps.  I am sure other more experienced gardeners will be along to add more.

Good luck.

Julie

Daucus

Beer traps are really good and kill lots. Dusk patrols are worthwhile – going out with a torch and collecting all the slugs which can be put in a bucket of weak beer solution. A couple of years ago we were getting at least 100 per evening and it made a difference.

It’s also worth looking at the causes of the high population of slugs – is there long grass or other hiding places near the veg plot?

Very glad to hear your son doesn’t want to use slug pellets, I work for a wildlife hospital and it’s devastating to see what those things can do to hedgehogs.

englishlady

I guess I could get my son to empty the beer traps.  That is something I dont think I could do without upchucking.  Would they be good for the compost heap, surely the beer would be also?

I have seen a rather ingenious mini home for a hedgehog, and was tempted to buy it, but I thought rats may get there first and that would truly freak me out.

How else can I encourage hedgehogs into the garden, any ideas please ?  And would I have to feed them or do they live on slugs and snails, eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww.

I have dealt with overflowing septic tanks, mucking out the rear end of a 747 full of Pakistani farmers and yet the thought of slugs just creeps me out entirely…………

Best to you

Julie

englishlady

Daucus  –  How about salt?

I do remember my dad using salt to get rid of slugs, putting it in a ring around the plants individually.  Would that work or would it damage the balance of the soil or something ?

Best

Julie

thank you i will pass that on to him. We have chickens and in the winter they were allowed to rumage about in the vegetable garden this year i have had hardly any trouble with slugs

Rhys
    Participant

I just pulled two massive ones who were tearing their way into my Cara potato foliage – the plants are 2ft 6 high, but the damage is quite considerable. A few young lettuces I can live with, but eating all the spud plants?? That’s not a pest, that ‘s a plague!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags