SLUGS ON LEEKS

Community Community Garden Problems Pests SLUGS ON LEEKS

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  tadams 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

frank
    Participant

I planted out my leeks during May and early June and I didn’t bother with slug pellets as I thought they don’t attack leeks.
    I came to the plot today and found some of the freshly planted leeks had been pulled out and lying next to the holes, which was strange and I put it down to birds. With all the rain they looked fine so i decided to replant them. I took my dibber to redrill the holes and found to my astonishment that there was a slug at the bottom of each one!!! I had to pull them out before replanting.
    CAn any one tell me if this is a common occurrence, if the slug somehow pulled out the baby leek, or was it indeed a bird that pulled them out and then the slugs just happened along and dropped in the holes!!!!!
    I have never had this happen before but we have had very heavy rain recently up here

RandA
    Participant

Frank

could this be rabbits?
    We have a real problem with them at the moment and I keep finding leeks out of planting holes on the ground
    I am not sure how to stop them.
    Good indicators are if they have dug holes in the compost eaten something down to the ground and find the poo near by
    good luck

charles

Yes I suspect rabbits, they like baby leeks, though not always pulling them out so it is odd

tadams
    Participant

In my experience, slugs will eat tiny leek seedlings but I can’t see how they could pull them out. And Spanish slugs will eat pretty much anything down to a stump but luckily we have very few this season and those that I have seen (and despatched) have been small, sorry looking specimens. Going out after dark with a torch on a damp evening is the way to find out what the slugs are enjoying……..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags