Small black tomatoes

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Small black tomatoes

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

kate robinson
    Participant

Hi

what are the small black tomatoes in your August pictures? They look great – how do they taste? I have HUGE Black Russian tomatoes which I doubt will ever go black…!

charles

Hi Kate, that is an interesting comparison becasue Black Russian tomatoes are indeed not balck, but delicious, while the “Indigo Rose” are black on top (rose underneath when ripe) but taste ordinary. I was given the plants to try, by Suttons as they are part of the James Wong range which they promote, he advocates them for extra antioxidants in the dark skin, I remain to be convinced!

Are you growing any other good tomato varieties?

i have grown suncherry and lldi and they have been fablous, interesting the outside have only been a week behind the greenhouse grown in croping !

charles

I had a similar experience with Sungold: it was an amazing summer for outdoor tomatoes, until recently! 

bluebell
    Participant

I have Sungold both inside and out, which have been outstanding. For the first time I have had success with a beefsteak (red Brandywine),  which I have yet to taste but has needed extra support because of the weight of the crop, hope to be able to taste them in a few dasy time as just ripening.

I also have ‘black cherry’ which are just about ripening in the greenhouse but are showing no signs of doing so outside. I would also comment that they are on teh large side for cherry tomatoes being nearly twice the size of the sungold.

Rhys
    Participant

First time I grew them successfully (last year the seeds failed to germinate and this year only one of eight did!).

The tomatoes are absolutely perfect shape and taste lovely too. I’ve grown in a rhizopot (breathable material bag) and have harvested 20 tomatoes to date with another 20 large ones clearly going to ripen by the end of August. Then there are another 40 odd which are smaller which hopefully will keep on producing in September.

As I found a slug happily munching on a side shoot yesterday morning, clearly nature says that this plant is extremely luscious!

Jayjay
    Participant

I discovered some really tasty Tomatoes this year to try in my new Polytunnel, my favourites were Sungold, Black Russian and Azoychka – a yellow beefsteak which I think is a Russian Heirloom variety. I was disappointed with Golden Sunrise and Gardeners Delight but maybe I watered them too much and diluted the taste? Also I had my first encounters with the Tomato Moth Caterpillar, (it loved the Black Russians), it comes in 2 colours – light brown and also green with a yellow dotted stripe along it’s side, the first signs of it”s presence is a bit of round green poo near a cigarette burn sized hole that it has munched!

Rhys
    Participant

Some lessons I have learned the past few years growing tomatoes in pots outside (by which I mean I sow and grow in small pots inside, but when they reach final potting up stage they live outside as soon as the weather is warm enough):

1. Black Cherry does much better with an early sowing – last year I sowed in mid March and was struggling to get ripe fruit oustide whereas this year, sowing in early February, the glut started at the beginning of August.

2. I”ve had brilliant yields off Maskotka plants sown either in the first week of February (this year) or the last week of April (last year) – they are one of the quickest, easiest tomato strains to grow in pots.

3. This year I tried Apero and Sungold sown at the beginning of April and Apero was clearly more vigorous in terms of yield, athough both tasted excellent. At the very end, both started to get signs of blight, so I removed all remaining fruit green and ripened indoors.

4. I’ve been sowing Riesentraube earlier each year and getting more yield, but I suspect that the best yields for this outdoors require a February sowing.

5. Black Russian, Super Marmande have both yielded successfully outdoors the past two years. I’ve found that doubling the recommended dose of Tomorite for these strains gives you higher numbers of fruit. Indeed, without high Tomorite, I’ve found Black Russian to be a bit of a fusspot during fruit set.

6. In terms of the latest times to sow and get a crop, I sowed Red Alerts in early May this year, for whatever reason they took nearly 3 weeks to germinate and yet I still harvested fruit in 15cm pots in early September. The experiment of using multiple small pots (5 15cm pots in this case) showed you can get 7.5lb of Red Alerts that way, which will make you a nice winter supply of tomato sauce if that takes your fancy…..

7. Alicante I have found to be very consistent in its yields and taste the past three years. Shirley gave me a monster crop last year but only about 6lb this – it does set fruit extremely reliably though. Tigerella’s yield this year wasn’t huge but the taste was excellent and the fruit are perfectly formed. My experiences with Ailsa Craig and Sub-Arctic Plenty this year were less good than last year’s whopping crops whilst Glacier is a reliably high cropper with a reputed tolerance for the cold (which has been of supreme indifference this year in SE England!)

8. Finally, the Cedrico and Zenith strains I grew for show worked very well in Rhizopots and the taste of Zenith, in particular, was extremely good.

All this was achieved using about 15 sqm of patio space, some under the cover of a car port but many simply living out in the open in what was one of the most consistently warm and dry summers for a couple of decades.

I was hoping to upload an Excel spreadsheet with the data which underpins these assertions (Charles has already seen it), but the only files which can be uploaded are png, gif, jpg and jpeg…..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags