Soil temperature for sowing turnips and forcing carrots…

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Soil temperature for sowing turnips and forcing carrots…

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 6 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Rhys
    Participant

I have been monitoring soil temperatures about 2 inches below surface and it is now 8-9C depending on location.

I was not intending sowing the turnips and carrots until early March, but is the temperature good enough for germination in the soil with a fleece covering?

charles

Hello Rhys, I would wait. Your 8-8C is a snapshot of current conditions only.
    If you try, you may succeed, it’s just risky as March can bring cold weather… and even with fleece over, the sun is less strong now, for helping germination, than in say three weeks time.
    Early sowings carry an element of gambling. I have tried so many times that I now prefer to wait until the odds increase in my favour, usually starting in mid March outside.

Rhys
    Participant

Yes, that sounds sensible. Radish rarely does well here sown direct before the equinox, so I guess turnips and forcing carrots should wait a while….but it is astonishing that my lean to is registering 18C today, which is almost as good as being indoors. The peas, radish, beetroot are now outside in the lean to and the spinach and cabbage, now picked into small pots, will go out in a day or so after recovering from the transplant yesterday.

Shaun Pearce
    Participant

You could try your turnips in multi sown modules to kick start them as I’m going too, I’m trying nearly all my veg like that this year other than the ones not recommended

Anonymous

Hello Charles

Do you think that sowing early carrots in a polytunnel at the moment would be less risky? For maturing before summer crops are planted?

charles

Yes it’s a good time to sow carrots undercover, and first thinnings should be ready by about mid May. Just time, before planting summer crops.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Rhys,

2″ is too shallow for a true reading. A bright clear day in January could give you that kind of reading but once the sun goes off that area you will get a considerable temperature drop.
    5-6″ would give a better indication I believe.

Don.

Rhys
    Participant

Don, thanks for that, on your advice I just went out and took readings 6 inches down: it is a pretty uniform 8C. Took readings at the sunniest spot and the shadiest, very little difference between the two…..

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Rhys

Where are you based?

Don.

Rhys
    Participant

NW London, just inside M25 near the A40 arterial road going west to Oxford, Cheltenham and S. Wales…..

Don Foley
    Participant

I’m in Dublin. Checked mine this afternoon and only showing 4C. It needs to warm up quiet a bit if I’m to get spuds in on Patricks Day.
    Are those Temps normal for this time of year where you are? I kinda expected you would be warmer then us here but I didn’t expect twice as warm!

Don.

Rhys
    Participant

I do not know if they are, Don, this is the first year I have measured so early. It certainly has not been a harsh winter. I have not dug now for three years, whether that makes a difference I have no idea, but certainly no more heat should be lost through not digging.

I originally did the measurements when I noticed the garlics perking up…..

Neilfrazerm
    Participant

Hi Rhys, after the snow etc, just wondered what has haqppened to your soil temperature? Just wondered if the snow we had in the last week has an effect or not….
    BR
    Neil [Bromley/ SE London]

Rhys
    Participant

Neil

I just recorded 4C at 6 inches depth, so much colder than last year. This year there was 5cm of compost down since November, but last week the ground was frozen solid.

I may follow up on a weekly basis to see when the soil warms up: we have quite mild forecast here for the next 10 days – 10-11C max and minimums 4-6C.

It just how things can change from year to year.

My lean to with my peas, spinach and cabbage seedlings was +7C at 7.30am, so warm enough to keep young hardy plants healthy. I do not expect to put those out until the end of March…..

Carrot seedlings are now outside and happily survived their first night ou. Photo attached…

Rhys
    Participant

Temperature at 6 inches now 14C – the ground is ready to receive seedlings, tubers etc!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags