Some help needed!

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Some help needed!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 6 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Daniel T
    Participant

Hi

We started an allotment at the end of Feb and decided to try the no dig method. Unfortunately almost everything we have planted seems to be failing. I have planted pumpkins, courgettes, brussel sprouts and peas and all seem to be struggling. I covered the bed with 3 inches of cow manure, which I think was well rotted but it has formed a bit of a crust in the dryer weather so perhaps not so well rotted! The plants have been grown from seed and been in for 2-3 weeks. I’ve attached some pictures. Does anyone have any ideas?

Daniel T
    Participant

Sorry trying to add photos!

Rhys
    Participant

Daniel, with the cool March with sharp frosts, the ground has been much cooler in 2018 than other years. Many of my spring crops are a month behind 2017 and most early (before the start of April)sowings/transplants struggled or failed. Whereas everything planted out after mid April is doing very well indeed.

The most likely explanation therefore is that planting too early has caused your plants to struggle due to cool soil.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags