Some outcomes from my no-dig bed June 2014….

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Some outcomes from my no-dig bed June 2014….

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Poolfield 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Rhys
    Participant

1. The germination of runner beans has been more rapid and uniform than ever before. We planted two or three weeks earlier than normal and 97% germination was achieved within 10 days and all are growing well after 17 days.

2. The  Dwarf Beans, planted next to the runners, have also germinated beautifully, currently at 90% efficiency.

3. I also had to pull one Sweet Candle Carrot, sown in the no-dig bed in April, as for some reason it had gone sickly. However, when the plant was pulled a beautiful, long, thin root had formed, suggesting that carrots will thrive in a no-dig bed.

On another area just next to the formal bed where no-dig has also been practiced for 12 months, the Broad Bean crop is going to be superb.

What I focussed on in preparing the bed was a fine tilth for the top couple of centimetres and good aeration lower down. Three rounds of hoeing, raking and forking to create air holes was the bed’s spring preparation.

I’ve not tried anythng with brassicas, leaves or alliums really yet and potato experiments have been more around growing in pots/towers rather than the traditional way.

But broadly, I’m beginning to see the confirmation of Charles’ methods working, even in the first year of an amateur attempting to replicate his expertise.

zuf
    Participant

It just works doesn’t it! :) I wish you happy gardening.

Poolfield

So glad to hear other stories of people for whom no dig is working.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags