sowing in freezing temps

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing sowing in freezing temps

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ladbrokes

i would like to plant my onion sets and sow leeks and parsnip seeds this weekend but after looking at next weeks weather im very unsure whether to wait another week. they are predict a big freeze again with night temp down to -5. any suggestions

charles

A good question Ladbrokes, I am holding back too and it feels strange to pass the equinox with so little happening. The forecast for next week, from Sunday 24th mainly, is for bitter cold, so Easter weekend looks a better bet for planting onion sets and potatoes. Parsnips can be sown now as they just lie in the soil waiting for warmth – I once sowed some in November and they appeared nicely in March! (and grew well). Shallots can also go in now if you have not planted them already, they do not risk bolting from low temperatures.

Pete Budd
    Participant

My onion seedlings have been shivering in the coldframe for some weeks. Should I buy some sets?

Pete

charles

Yes Pete it is so frustrating. I have been lucky to get into hotbeds this year (not myself but sometimes feel like it!)  and some onion, shallot seedlings on one of them are a fair size, otherwise they would be tiny without any supplementary heat. If a cold frame is all you have, and considering the east winds look so established even into April, I would buy some sets.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags