Sowing onion seeds

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Sowing onion seeds

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sara.S 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

ElleGee
    Participant

I’ve always planted onion sets, but last year followed your advice for sowing seeds, Charles, with great success. But I have a question as this year I will be planting many more and I do not have a greenhouse.
    Last year I stacked the seed trays indoors, not in sunlight, but where they got warmth from the house heating, until they germinated. Then I moved them to a windowsill until they were ready to plant out. I could run out of space inside this year! I know they are hardy plants, but will they cope at such an early stage if I move the seedling trays outside once they have germinated to grow further? I could put them on a table in a light open shed, or put the trays in the garden and cover with fleece.
    I’d be grateful for any advice. I live in SW France and it seems that our temperatures are pretty similar to yours over winter.

Cleansweep
    Participant

Why not build yourself a cold frame? See:
    https://www.growveg.co.uk/guides/how-to-make-a-cold-frame-step-by-step/
    South west France ? Could be tempted if requiring on-site advice!!
    Cleansweep

Sara.S
    Participant

I find an easy way of creating a ‘cold frame’ (or effectively a mini-polytunnel) is simply to turn a deep, clear plastic box upside down, put in whatever pots you want and then put the lid on.

You can then regulate for the weather by taking the lid off or putting it back on, or even partially.

Eg in winter if it’s a dry bright day and not too cold I remove the lid during the day and replace it at night.If it’s really cold and wet I leave the lid on.

As long as you keep an eye on condensation/heat levels (as you would with a polytunnel or greenhouse) this method works brilliantly.I can protect a multitude of plants from the worst of the elements and harden off plants as and when needed.

Another great benefit is that as the boxes are light I can quickly and easily move them around the garden to maximise light/shade levels.

Tip – use boxes with a snap on or tight lid so they don’t blow away in strong winds. Also you could drill holes in the bottom if you want drainage holes.

I hope you find this useful- Happy Growing !

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags