Sowing Onion/Leek/Beetroot early February

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Sowing Onion/Leek/Beetroot early February

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 12 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Dazzerelli
    Participant

Hi Charles,

I notice, from the sowing dates of your dig/no dig experiment results page, that you module sow Onion, Leek and Beetroot in early February. Is this in a cold greenhouse or is heat applied?

Thanks,

Darren

charles

Darren, Happy new year,
    And well spotted although I need to check that I have not entered it wrong as leeks are NOT good for sowing that early, because of some likelihood of bolting by mid to late summer. So leeks I module sow in late March for planting early May (or outdoor sow mid April).
    Beetroot needs to be variety Boltardy and onions can be any variety, salad onions included, all good for sowing in early February. I sow four beet seeds and six to eight onion seeds per module, and have electric heating coils in a bed of damp sand to provide gentle heat from below at 16 to 20C. After 3 to 5 weeks you will see some leaves and trays can be taken off heat then to make way for other veg sown in March such as tomatoes, celeriac, aubergines etc.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags