Sowing time for leeks – harvesting before leek moth vs risk of bolting?

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Sowing time for leeks – harvesting before leek moth vs risk of bolting?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Rhys
    Participant

Charles

I was reading in your March Monthly update that sowing leeks too early increases risk of bolting.

The past two years, our leek crop has been decimated in late September/early October by leek moth, so this year I thought it would be better to sow early, plant out early and harvest the leeks mostly by the end of August, completely by the middle of September and to store them in the freezer after blanching. Not optimal, perhaps, but better than no crop?

So I sowed my first set of modules in late February (they are germinating very well without heat) in this regard.

Based on your experience, if leeks bolt, at what time of the year do they do so i.e. will I likely harvest a successful crop using my strategy this year?

charles

Rhys, all being well you sowed an early variety such as Jolant, Bulgarian Giant or King Richard, all of which bulk up in summer. Compared to Musselburgh which bulks the following spring.
    I would say about mid March undercover for them. Or now if they have warmth to keep the chill off, so they are not tricked by any cold into thinking they have been through winter and need to flower, usually from July if it happens.

Rhys
    Participant

I used Jaune de Poitou from Real Seeds – they say it is an autumn harvester. I’ll certainly note these three strains you recommend for future reference though! Cheers……..

Charlie Armour
    Participant

What temperatures and/or length of cold spell would make leeks think they had just had a winter? Ie If I wanted to risk an earlier sowing what would I be looking to avoid temperature-wise?

charles

I am unsure Charlie, suspect its frosts below -3, -4C but also a question of how long the frosts endure e.g. March frosts last longer so more soil freezes, while frosts from mid April are usually quicker and at dawn, more of a singe, with soil and roots less likely to freeze.
    Therefore its hard to quantify.

Charlie Armour
    Participant

Thanks. I’ll sow some in unheated greenhouse now and sow some more out in April.

stu
    Participant

Rhys I’ve suffered from severe leek moth damage in the past why don’t u try covering with enviromesh from sowing to harvest it’s what I do every yr now and I have perfect leeks. Can’t recommend it highly enough

Rhys
    Participant

Stu

Thanks for the tip – I’ll see about getting some pronto!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags