sowing

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

kate robinson
    Participant

Happy 2013!
    I had a disappointing winter salad harvest – partly due to slow germination. However, I am keen to get going again… Some of the seed packets from Tamar organics, such as Lettuce May Queen, Lettuce cerbiatta, Lettuce Susan and Maravilla de Verano say to sow from January or February… Is this advisable? I would start the seeds in my kitchen window (South facing with large glass to the ground as I have no heat in the greenhouse) but I hear rumours of snow… My Moon calendar suggests to sow 8th/9th/27th for Jan.. What are your thoughts? K

charles

Sorry to hear of poor growth so far but you have experienced two hugely different autumns and your first one last year was exceptionally mild and untypical. This year was on the cool side, until recently but this is exceptionally warm again, for the time of year, and as you say it looks like turning colder by month’s end.

I am cautious of seed packets’ advice, yes you can sow at those dates for sure, but will results be worth using precious space for? I think the first three lettuce are soft-leaved roundheads, not easy for leaf picking, Maravilla is better and worth trying esp in your warm kitchen. Then once going, lettuce plants can stand cold weather when protected from wind, rain etc, so good luck and Happy New Year too!

ashleigh
    Participant

hi kate, i don’t have any experience yet to offer re lettuces, but i noticed you sow your leaves on the descending moon leaf days. i am trying to get my head round asc/desc moon phases this year (last year i only paid attention to whether it was a leaf/fruit etc day).

my understanding so far was that the desc moon is important for transplanting, but not important for sowing. i even read somewhere that the asc moon is good for sowing as the ‘forces’ are drawn ‘up’. i know there’s no right or wrong to this really, so i’m interested in why you like to sow on those days and have you noticed it working well? i’m hoping to find time to do some experiments myself.

kate robinson
    Participant

Hmmmm – This is only my 2nd year of growing so I am feeling my way too. I use Maria and Matthias Thun’s biodynamic sowing and planting calendar. In it it shows sections for sowing Roots, Flowers, Fruits and Leaves. I sow my leaf seeds accordingly but I was also of the understanding that the asc moon draws plants up…. Perhaps Charles can help us here?!

charles

Yes it can become complicated! For which reason I do not consider, when sowing seeds, whether moon is ascending or descending, just its constellation: so leaf days for lettuce (incidentally my moon calendar gives 16th-18th for leaf vegetables and you left out these dates, hence Ashleigh’s question), also I find more vigour (mostly not always) from sowing in waxing moon….

It is good to plant on descending moon (not the same as waning).

But I plant when my plants are ready!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags