Spacing of Asparagus in a 4 foot wide bed

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Spacing of Asparagus in a 4 foot wide bed

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  compostpope 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

compostpope
    Participant

Hello Charles

I’m planning on growing some aspargus for the first time next year.

In your book you recommend planting asparagus 2 foot apart in rows that are 3 foot apart. My beds are fixed at 4 foot wide, so the asparagus would only be 6 inches from the edge of the bed – a bit too close to my inexperienced mind…

Would they come to any harm if planted closer together? Should I stagger them in the rows??

Compostpope

charles

The spacings I recommend are for long term growth. I have found that closer spacings result in some plants being corwded out as roots of larger neighbours take over. 

However if you plant at 18 inches then it does give more early harvest, before some plants fade.

Another aspect is that asparagus roots greedily to its side in summer, for moisture especially, so you are right that a staggered spacing is a good idea, and not too close to your bed edges.

compostpope
    Participant

It’s just occurred to me that they would effectively get the same amount of space if plant them 3 feet apart within 2 rows 2 feet apart instead of 2 feet apart in rows 3 feet apart – giving a foot between the rows and the edge of the bed instead of 6 inches…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags