Spacing of asparagus – which new beds to use?

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Spacing of asparagus – which new beds to use?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Gwynleg 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Gwynleg
    Participant

Hi
    Ive been looking at previous answers by Charles and it appears that my potential new asparagus bed (16 by 4 feet) would only allow for 8 asparagus plants (or is my maths wrong?!). I could use different beds – 7 by 12 feet or 8 by 12feet. Can anyone help me please to decide the best bed to use for optimum amount of asparagus? I guess I was hoping for at least 12 plants but need them to fit appropriately into the beds I have available.
    Many thanks

Paul
    Participant

You could easily get 12 in your small bed,Iv’e got 48 plants in three double rows that are 15 foot wide (third year so getting really excited)I can’t remember the total area.I’m popping up to the plot tomorrow so I will measure and let you know.
    I’m sure you could get twenty in the large bed though.
    If you are in the UK have a look at “A grade asparagus” based in Norfolk their crowns are amazing.
    Whatever you do DON’T buy the emaciated tiny crowns,that are available at Every garden centre..

Gwynleg
    Participant

Thanks Paul. I need to decide soon on which bed but also (linked to another post I put on here) whether to wait till next year to have more time getting rid of potential perennial weeds or whether to get going now. I had a look at the A grade asparagus website – looks good. Their deadline for orders is very soon so I really need to make decisions!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags