Spacing of plants / rows

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Spacing of plants / rows

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Roscop 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Roscop
    Participant

Hi all,

Does anyone know the reason behind why recommended spacing between rows, and plants within a row differ?
    In my head, the plant needs x amount of space, so should be given that in all directions, so equidistant seems more logical.

I’m new on here, also new to gardening in general! Steep learning curve ahead I’m sure, but looking forward to it.

Hawfinch
    Participant

Interesting question that, will look forward to hearing what others have to say. Square foot gardening does space plants equidistant(ly?) – you can look up the recommended distances on the internet.

charles

Roscop, the reason is traditional growing has plants in rows, to make weed control easier by hoeing, and because it’s quicker to sow seeds in lines than popping them in equidistant holes. Also it’s maybe easier to support a line of beans compared to equal spacings.
    In veg gardens we can raise most plants in modules and plant equidistantly.
    There is a huge range of possibilities between these two approaches, depending on crop etc.

Roscop
    Participant

Interesting – thanks for the responses.
    My plan is to raise the plants in modules, multi sown where possible – based on your recommendations Charles.
    I’m keen to get the most out of my space, which isn’t particularly small, but I’d still like to be as space efficient as possible and get a good return from the soil having invested the 2 inches of compost!!

I may experiment with spacings a little to see what works best.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Roscop,

I grow most crops at equidistant spacings and taller plants such as peas in rows as it is easier to provide adequate support for them.
    Joy Larkcom gives a rule of thumb for determining equidistant spacing of adding the row and plant spacings together and dividing by two.
    We all want to get as much as possible into our available space. But bear two things in mind here, closer spacing results in a smaller plant which is fine if that is what your after. Secondly overcrowded plants are more susceptible to pests and disease.
    You can use close spacing deliberately so you can harvest small crops thinning to allow what remains to grow into larger crops, i.e., Carrots, Beetroot, etc.

Don.

Roscop
    Participant

Thanks Don,

That makes sense. Food for thought.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags