spacing of potato tubers

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables spacing of potato tubers

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

teacosy

Can anyone tell me how they arrange/plant their potato tubers on a 10m long bed of 1.2m width? I am not sure whether to do two rows? What would be the most efficient and easy maintenance?

Ros

I have beds 1.2m wide and plant potatoes 3 across the beds. I have had good harvests this way overf4 years. Good luck with yours whichever way you decide on.

Hi Teacosy, My beds are 9m x 1.2m. I plant 2 rows of tubers along the length of bed. This always for plenty of compost to be drawn up over them as they grow. Seems a bit wide at planting time but foliage will cover the whole bed and some pathway by harvesting time.

compostpope
    Participant

It might depend on which type of potatoes you are planting. I plant second earlies in two rows in a 1.2m bed and they do well. If I were planting first earlies I might try and fit in 3 rows, but perhaps such a bed might be too narrow for 2 rows of maincrops – but I’ve no experience other than second earlies so I’m only guessing…

I found earthing up 2 rows in a 1.2m bed in the traditional method quite tricky but adding compost to the bed around the plants as they grow as Charles seems to advocate makes the whole thing a lot easier.

I’m looking forward to my first new spuds of the year as I type!!!

Compostpope

jawilliams
    Participant

My first year of being an allottmenteer has been a hard one. An extremely dry winter and early spring and then an aweful soggy summer. My potatoes ended up covered in 20 cm of water as the allotment flooded. I rescued some of my crop but the others succumbed to blight. Should I not plant potatoes this year because no matter the weather, the blight is omnipresent?

charles

I find that blight does not linger in soil, so if summer is dry or even has just average moisture, your potatoes can be good and I would plant again soon – around Easter time – both first and second earlies.

bluebell
    Participant

I planted a ‘Christmas’ crop of potatoes just a couple of months after my main crop had blight. I did plant in a different area and I covered them with manure and had a sheet of plastic over them until they were growing well. The 5 tubers I planted gave a better crop than my other plantings last year.

charles

Thanks for this Bluebell, it is a good example of how potato blight is about temperature and humidity, rather than infection from soil or compost.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags