Spent hops question?

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Spent hops question?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  grannyjanny 11 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

grannyjanny
    Participant

We are fortunate enough to have a local brewery, so local it’s on the way to our plot. I have spoken to them & we can have the spent hops, they are sticky I was told. What is the most beneficial way to use them, as a mulch on there own or mixed in with our home made compost or a bit of both. The home made compost is a mix of well rotted goodies from the chicken pen & coop, hemcore, leaves & straw & the obligatory chicken poo also guinea pig poo, hay (in small amounts), hemcore & newspaper + the remnants of crop & kitchen waste. We have established fruit trees & a soft fruit cage, a blueberry bed with 6 bushes. Any help welcome please.

charles

Lucky you…  I would use them as mulch around all your fruit, and their acidity (around pH5 apparently) will be especially good for blueberries and should not harm other plants as it does take a lot of material to change pH much. Hops hold onto moisture, might be useful this year! and I would trry some in your compost heap to bulk it up a bit.

grannyjanny
    Participant

Thank you Charles. When I told my cyber allotment friend she called me a ‘jammy b****r’. That sort of told me I was on to a good thing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags