Spent mushroom compost that burns?!

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Spent mushroom compost that burns?!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Stringfellow 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Stringfellow
    Participant

I was hoping to spread an inch or so of mushroom compost (that has been mixed with some poultry droppings) on the soil surface, after a garlic harvest in July, followed by planting some winter brassicas. The material is well rotted and black in appearance.

The nursery lady informed me that this particular compost must be incorporated otherwise it will burn the plants roots. Is there any truth in this?

Charles, the growth in the June update must be most satisfying for you following all those months of labour – it all looks great.

charles

Thanks Tris for liking the pictures, yes the garden looks wonderful and the abundant growth is both a both a joy ad a relief, as everything is so new.

That lady’s comment makes no sense at all! How would incorporating it reduce a supposed tendency to burn roots?!

I have never come across any compost which burns roots, apart from fresh poultry manure. Its a myth spread by ICI!

So your original idea is good and I wish you big brassicas.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Even at my entry level of veg growing it didn’t seem to make sense. At the very least, I figured incorporating it would would put the stuff right where the roots would be!! However, I didn’t want to spend £70 – £100 on something that might be counter productive, so many thanks for the reassurance.

I guess something along that theme may appear in your ‘Myths’ book next March!

I think the main thing that impressed me about the photos was the sheer amount of plants you have managed to get in the ground and growing successfully – it makes me wonder where your garden will be in 2 – 3 years time and beyond…. the very best with it.

simondragon
    Participant

Talking of burning. I did manage to shorch some leaves when i spread some fish blood and bone meal on my beds this year, although it did not kill any plants just damaged some leaves. I think you need very fresh horse muck to really damage plants. Straw with urine that is very fresh is supposed to be the worst for burning plants.

simondragon
    Participant

Spent mushroom compost is also limey so don’t use around blueberries heather or other acid lovers. but great on lime lovers such as brassicas.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks for the info Simon.

I will certainly be avoiding spreading any raw manure etc. on my plot and I hope that my intended brassica patch will enjoy any increase in alkalinity that the mushroom compost brings to it.

If the mushroom compost could supress the horsetail I am pulling on almost daily basis, that would be fantastic! I won’t hold my breath…..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags