Spread it or lose it?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Spread it or lose it?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Nightgardener 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Nightgardener
    Participant

We’ve just had the biggest pile of manure ever dropped at our allotments. Honestly, I’m concerned it may topple over and bury someone. And we’re assured that it’s not come from weed-sprayed ground and know the people who delivered it. Now it is basically a free-for-all, but there is more than enough to go around.

I have two empty “daleks” and space to use them. My other compost bins aren’t ready for emptying yet. The delivered manure could probably benefit from three months or so storage before spreading. It is unlikely that such abandance will land again, and I really can’t afford to purchase manure or compost in the quantities required to cover my plot.

My question is: When I’ve filled my daleks would it be better to spread what else I can grab or loose it. And if I choose to spread it, where would it’s somewhat less than desirable state cause least harm?

charles

Yes I would take a decent amount, why not make a neat pile at the end of one of your beds, up to five foot high if you can.  If the bedding is straw, it will hold its shape, especially when you build the sides and corners first, always the middle of a heap last, so it goes up reasonably straight.

Nightgardener
    Participant

I ended up sacrificing part of my comfrey bed. The commfrey itself is now mixed in with the manure. The whole thing; about four foot square heated up amazingly and is still warm; it has now become the preferred snoozing place for our pest control expert; aka Henry the Cat.

Interestingly though it hasn’t reduced in size as much as the manure in the daleks, but that was mixed with more green stuff as I was weeding as well as manure collecting. I’m hoping all of it will be ready for spreading in the spring.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags