Spring Greens in the UK

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Spring Greens in the UK

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Bobbingabout 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Bobbingabout
    Participant

Hello. I am hoping it is not too late to grow Spring Greens from seed. Last year I tried Durham Early which gave me usable otter leaves but tended to heart and did not have the intense green colour that I associate with Spring Greens sold in the shops. Can anyone please recommend a variety and any offer growing tips.
    Thanks Bob

jakchris
    Participant

Hi Bobbingabout. I was given some rooted cuttings from what I think is walking stick kale. They are very much like spring greens and have been going strong since last autumn. Delicious and quite mild. A Portuguese man on my allotment site gave them to me.

Bobbingabout
    Participant

Thanks jakchris. That’s interesting but it looks like it’s for February sowing from seed. I found this link which shows how to actually grow a walking stick which might interest you.
    I am still searching for a seed variety for the classic Spring Greens which are usually in the supermarkets around February.
    Cheers

charles

Spring greens happen when any variety of spring cabbage is planted closer, say 6x6in/15x15cm, then cut every other one from Feb or March as your greens, the remaining ones grow bigger and may heart

Bobbingabout
    Participant

Thanks Charles, that’s a great help.
    I have just got my copy of your latest book ‘…..Home & Garden’ which I am enjoying and recommend to everyone here.

KevL
    Participant

Hi Bobbingabout. Its late enough to sow seeds now for spring cabbage although I did sow some in mid September last year and grew in a cold frame all winter. The variety I used (and have used again this autumn) is Winter Jewel from Suttons (and possibly other companies) and I have had the best spring greens ever with tall and firm leaves with a lovely colour and flavour.

Bobbingabout
    Participant

Thanks KevL. That’s really useful info, I am relatively new to vegetable growing and I have never thought of overwintering in a cold frame. I have found some Durham Early seeds from last year and I have started them in modules but they haven’t sprouted yet, if they fail I will try Winter Jewel and/or make a note for next year. Cheers Bob

Cleansweep
    Participant

Dont be too sorry your spring greens are a paler shade than those you may find in shops.My suspicion is that they have been “forced” to grow rapidly with a dose of high nitrate fertiliser. The clue is in the colour, as you might find in washed spinach saladstuff which is often darker than holly!

Bobbingabout
    Participant

Good point, thanks cleansweep. My crop last year from Durham Early were grey green compared to the stuff in the shops but mine were 100% organic so that would possibly explained the difference. Cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags