Squash Sowing 2015

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Squash Sowing 2015

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  zuf 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

Hi Charles,

Just curious when you are sowing your squash this year?

This monday seems good as we have a warmth for a few days in the south west, but biodynamically it would be good to wait till the 19th – fruit day

I had a great crop of uchiki kuri, crown prince, and sprinter (butternut) last year, and here’s to another warm summer 🙂

Dan

charles

Hi Dan and its a good point, normally I would sow any time from now and the weather is tempting. So its possible. Yet the fruit moon of 19th is also tempting and possible so on balance I shall wait. April 19th is nearly four weeks before our last time of frost-risk in mid May. That is the main deciding factor, you may have an earlier date of last frost.
    Also, sorry about your lettuce germination issues, is that in New Horizon compost?
    There is certainly some old seed being sold, and no way of identifying it before sowing. I planted some lettuce for seed saving this week.

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

Thanks Charles, yes choices choices! 🙂 this weather is certainly tempting and heat loving plants are flourishing here!

Yes our last frost date is certainly earlier than you in flat somerset, and i will plant out under fleece anyway, so… well i’ll see! 🙂

compost – well actually germination has been worst in my mix of west riding multi and melcourt sylvagrow – and best germination in.. new horizons! i’ve given up trying to rationalise it and just keep on sowing and wait for my precious home saved seed. Really we can’t rely on seed companies anymore i don’t think.

I have 11 varieties planted out in the tunnel for seed so far! and my one bergamo plant which is coming on nicely is next to go in, and then hopefully the mottistone!

devonstew
    Participant

Sowed my squash today….feeling a bit late so that helps me to relax a bit!

New Horizon seems good this year – all good germination here

zuf
    Participant

I can sow squash and pumpkins directly outside in April. This April was not warm until three days ago – now it really feels like spring even in nights and i’m thinking to go about it with some fleece help.
    Direct sowing works if we don’t have slug situation.
    Last year it was successful for dif types of pumpkins, including Hokaido.
    In mid April I will sow in air pots and root trainers for planting out in May.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags