Squash Variety

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Squash Variety

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  davidk 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

susan
    Participant

Hi Charles,
    In your December 2013 monthly report you have published a photograph of your squashes at the bottom of the page . One of the squashes looks so beautiful (the spotty one in front). What is the name of the variety?
    Thanks.

charles

Kabocha! Flavour is good, as good as Kuri. I was given some seed by the Shumei Japanese farmers, it is in the table as Squash Kabocha: trouble is it will have crossed with the Kuri, if I grow from its seed.

davidk
    Participant

I appreciate it is may be too early to tell, how did the two ‘Japanese’ beds get-on this year. Going by those beautiful Kabocha, pretty well! I would welcome an update. Will you & the Shumei be doing it again in 2014. Hoping to make a visit to the Shumei Farmers in 2014. & Does Steph make Kabocha Pumpkin Pie? A load of qu.s, making a Perfect Pumpkin Pie is on my list for 2014.

charles

Hi David,

Funnily enough the results are there, above the squash photo in December 2013 This Month.

Certainly one can draw no conclusions yet. It was interesting how the heat loving plants (beans, squash) struggled to establish on the undug bed with no compost, while beets and leeks were fine. I think that the beans and squash need to root rapidly in June and July but decomposing roots of pasture were slowing them down, and there was no compost to help – see the high yield of squash on bed 3.

The Shumei farm at Yatesbury ran a similar trial but it got overgrown with weeds, I think they are stopping it…

We have used the squash in soupls and bakes only!

davidk
    Participant

Oh dear, seems I’m very forgetful & it’s only the 3rd!

My mother used to roast pumpkin in NZ, to die for!!(never a pie though),
    probably much better for you baked!

Hope you are continuing your Shumei Test next year….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags