STARTING FROM SCRATCH

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground STARTING FROM SCRATCH

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  charles 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

tdawgarden
    Participant

Hello i had a successful raised bed garden last year but then moved to a different home. Im wanting to start a large in ground garden around 24ft x 50 ft . Right now the area is covered with grass no much weeds. Im planning on using a skid loader to remove the grass which will be much faster then by doing by hand.

Once i do that i was going to bring in 4in of compost and then plant in May. I wasn’t sure if it’s better to Till the ground first before adding the compost? i was worried it might be to compact for when i go to plant . what would you suggest for a first time garden?

Gwynleg
    Participant

Hi. I think you would be absolutely fine to just make your beds where you want them on top of the existing grass. You could put a cardboard layer first, wet it well then put the compost on top. I think Charles would say that if you have 4-6 inches of compost to go on top you may not even need cardboard, as the compost will block the light completely from the grass.

If you look at the videos on this site you’ll get a lot more detail, but the good news is that you dont need to till it first. I have done this and am already planting into the compost – bare root plants such as black currants, and some raspberries I had in pots seem to be loving it!

Cleansweep
    Participant

Emphatically, no till!
    The structure of your soil, the profile that supports your turf, the biology of the soil are all the right way up, why confuse it.
    Suppress the grass,ie mow it, blind it, stop it growing by cutting off its life support (light)
    Add the compost to feed the microbes that feed your (future) plants.
    Plant.
    Your soil will contain diverse seeds from previous seasons. Only those near the top will grow, its proportional to their size. Why would you want to bring up all those from lower levels?.Just weed ,if necessary ,the surface as your crops develop. You may need to extract a few larger emergees from the lower levels (such as docks, sprouting acorns,suchlike) initially.
    Trust me-it works.
    Cleansweep

tdawgarden
    Participant

okay i hear what your saying, The only concern i see if i cut the grass very short then pile on compost over top it will only have been breaking down for a month before i start planting. Wouldn’t the young roots have a hard time traveling through the hard surface of grass?

Would there be any benefit to cover up the top layer of compost for that month with a tarp? iv heard it lets it cook?

Cleansweep
    Participant

Unless there are exceptional circumstances, I believe all will be well. Without the knowledge of the site, its history, the country its in, the weather the last few months one cannot be emphatic but just try it. Here in N E Hampshire, when I started from scratch in March 2016.
    The first bed was dug, picture attached.(‘all enclosed’) .It nearly killed me!.
    The effort of that led me to explore no-dig’ as an option.
    The second bed was created, on mown pasture, covered in cardboard boxes laid flat, composted manure and planted in one weekend, with lettuce plants. They thrived. I survived.
    I attach second photo of the ground prior to that .

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

charles

tdawgarden, just to add to the sound advice here, the soil of your grass and roots is open not hard! Once those grass roots die, there are channels for new roots.
    Just believe your eyes and ears of all the huge success people are having with this so simple and easy method.
    Never scrape off grass or weeds, just cover. They are growing in great soil. No need for a tarp either, in your case, it’s another complication and expense in most situations, not always.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags