Starting new allotment the no-dig way

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Starting new allotment the no-dig way

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  charles 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Rebecca
    Participant

After years of waiting we finally have an allotment! Yipee!
    Its a half plot (10m x 7m) so more manageable and I would like to follow organic no-dig principles.
    I have attached a pic.
    Lots of nettles, couch grass, some thistles and weeds I have no idea of. No brambles.
    Since taking the pic we have cut most of it down to the ground.
    I’m a little confused now how to proceed?
    We have lots of cardboard, found two bays of compost full, access to horse manure (but not fully rotted) and lots of green municipal waste.
    option 1: cardboard, then compost then black plastic or weed fabric
    option 2: compost first, then cardboard, then black plastic or weed fabric
    option 3: compost and cardboard only. (not really liking this option)
    which is best?
    will plant through light excluding cover next growing season.

Also Im not sure whether to go for weed fabric (as it lets rain in but apparently shreds everywhere and not completely light excluding) or black polythene (cheaper but doesn’t let rain in and degrades in the sun?).
    Does it matter if rain doesn’t get through? I plan to keep it on all next year and plant through it.

I would appreciate your nuggets of wisdom 😀

Thanks

Rebecca

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

offwego
    Participant

I would go for option 3 and put a good depth of compost 6 to 8 inches if you can .then ready for next year Get a load of horse muck and form a storage area so you have it for next autumn to put on the beds November 2019.
    Any weeds that may grow you will be able to pull easily

Rebecca
    Participant

Thank you offwego

So it seems cardboard and compost alone can deal with these perennials weeds? No horsetail thankfully.

what is better – cardboard first or on top?

Also the compost in the bays already on the plot have tonnes of weeds growing out of it – hence why I thought covering it would be a good idea.

offwego
    Participant

No problem, I am no expert but that’s the way I am doing it and I’ve had good results.i would lay the cardboard down first then the compost on top.
    As for the weeds in the compost I would hand pick as I was laying then deal with any if the grow.
    The plus points are that you know your compost is fertile and that it’s weedkiller free cos the weeds are growing 😁

JanGreen
    Participant

Hi Rebecca, congrats on getting your allotment! I know how it exciting it is as I only got my allotment last May. My plot was rotavated before I took it on so I immediately went into ‘no dig’ mode and planned the growing beds and paths using well-rotted manure mixed with bought compost. I have had a fantastic yield of vegetables and was very proud to be awarded a Certificate of Merit by our committee at the recent AGM. I can’t tell you how easy this method is and I bore everyone talking about Charles’s methods, this informative website and how productive this way of growing is. I still have lots growing at this time: carrots, winter cabbage, lettuce and beetroot (just coming to an end), parsnips and a few varieties of kale. Second sowings have worked really well and I would encourage everyone to look at the videos on that topic, super use of all the space you have available. All the vegetables I am harvesting now (expect parsnips) have been second and third sowings, just by adding another very thin layer of compost and planting through with no disturbance to the ground.
    Best wishes to you, Jan 🙂

Rebecca
    Participant

I have been put off using plastic of any kind today. Whilst clearing the allotment ground further I pulled up loads of old black polythene and mypex. The polythene was brittle and lots of black plastics bits every where and the mypex all shredded everywhere.

I think my main worry though with only using cardboard then thick compost/manure mulch is that as the cardboard breaks down the weeds will resurface.

Rebecca
    Participant

Hi JanGreen – what a great achievement for the first year!

How did you start? Use cardboard? plastic?
    would love to know.

colin
    Participant

What is the purpose of the top layer of plastic?

Rebecca
    Participant

I suppose to block light to any weeds that do make it through the cardboard and compost mulch.
    Just identified dock weed on the site too.

Hazelky
    Participant

I got a small plot almost two years ago. It was covered in nettles, thistles and assorted annual weeds. I cut the weeds down, laid cardboard in two layers to exclude light and put compost on top. This was enough to deal with the matted weed layer. The cardboard is now rotted and incorporated. There are weeds, but not the deep rooted ones, just from nearby weedy plots nd easily pulled in regular maintenance. These were new plots and most plotholders are diggers nd there are many more weeds on the diggers plots than the three no dig ones.

JanGreen
    Participant

Hi Rebecca, a very late reply to your question, sorry work has been manic leading up to Christmas!
    I used neither. It had been rotavated so I marked out the growing beds, lightly raked it over and put a mixture of homemade compost and bought compost on them. I left paths in between and as the summer was so dry they just got trodden down as I worked from them. I have kept on top of the weeding without too much work and continued through the year with second sowings too.
    Today I harvested lettuce, beetroot, parsnips and carrots. I was also thrilled to see my Romanesco has started to heart (nearly gave up on them so pleased I didn’t!) Also have kale and cabbages to harvest soon too. All going really well!
    I think once the layer of compost went on the weeds do get weaker over time. There was a lot of bindweed on one end of my plot but that has weakened a lot this year.
    Have a great Christmas and enjoy your plot!

Cleansweep
    Participant

I suppose to block light to any weeds that do make it through the cardboard and compost mulch.
    Just identified dock weed on the site too.

There’s nothing to prevent a second layer of cardboard &compost to re-treat any emerging weeds, eventually you will win.This will enable you to plant out transplants the same day.
    Docks can be dug out or tied to a lever and lifted when soil is moist. Just make sure they dont seed!Good Luck.
    Cleansweep

offwego
    Participant

Just keep going the way you are and deal with the few numbers of weeds that appear

charles

Thanks for sharing your success stories and methods.
    It’s 11 years since I finished my first book and at that time almost nobody was using these methods. I am so happy they are finally catching on, also that everyone adapts them to their circumstances and materials available, bravo and happy Christmas!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags