Starting out

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Catrin
    Participant

Hi,
    I have been reading your Starting out no dig page and Im am keen to start out this week. I have grown veg in the patch for last 2 years but I believe I will have to follow option 1 as there is much couch grass on the patch and in the garden in general. Following your advice I believe also it would be better for me to build wooden sides as grass will be coming up to the bed and from experience I will need a barrier. My question is at what point is it best to build the frame/wooden sides if following option 1? Also at what point if I start now can I plant potatoes?
    Many thanks for your help
    Catrin

charles

Catrin I would not put any wooden sides: they would make it hard to exclude light 100% which is a necessity.
    Simply cover with compost and polythene then plant potatoes through slits in the polythene all in the same day if you want.
    Cover with poly a around the edges too to make a clean edge to your plot.

Catrin
    Participant

Many thanks for your help and advice. I made a good start this weekend! When the potatoes are ready to harvest – do I lift polythene, harvest as normal and then return polythene if needed?
    Thanks
    Catrin

charles

Yes you can replace the polythene if there are still many perennial weeds. Maybe plant broccoli through the same holes.
    If clear of weeds, remove it and continue as normal.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags