stem rot in cucumber plants

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables stem rot in cucumber plants

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Karen
    Participant

Hey Charles,

Do you have this problem with your cucumber plants? The stem seems to be rotting at the base of the plant or at soil level. I have lost a few both in the polytunnel and outdoors. I seem to have this problem with cucumbers these past few years. Am not too sure if it´s due to overwatering or the works of something else in the soil (e.g wireworms). Or perhaps the plants were planted too young. I usually plant them out when after at least there are 2 big leaves. Not sure about yours. I have seen those sold in garden centers at at least 30cm tall.

I noticed several marigolds having this problem too although the stem rot occurs higher up on the stem and loads of ants on it. There weren’t any ants on the cucumber plants though.

charles

Karen, that does look like rotting rather than something eating them. Although woodlice damage can be hard to notice, so that is just possible. You would also see serrated edges to lower leaves, where woodlice nibble.
    Yes I suspect overwatering as that can make stems rot, very quickly too. Young plants are especially prone.
    I plant also at about two, perhaps three large leaves.
    Possibly you had previously overwatered the plants in pots. I keep mine half dry, so the pots are never heavy if you lift them.

Karen
    Participant

Hey Charles,

I will certainly hold back on the watering. It is always my biggest folly. I just checked on the cucs I planted out 2 days ago… Think I got confused with my courgettes. Their leaves aren’t terribly big. I just planted them out when the roots were fully wrapped around the potting compost.

I should try to repot them to bigger pots next year and possibly plant them out when they are a lot bigger.

ElizaD
    Participant

Hi Karen

I am growing some of my cucumbers in pots for the first time this year because of lack of space. One of my pot grown ones is showing the same stem rot as on yours. I believe it is overwatering the pot in my case. Never had a problem with cucumber stems rotting when I’ve planted in the ground. All my other pot grown look ok but they are in a slightly sunnier spot than the one with some stem rot. I too will ease up on the watering. Courgettes, apart from being a little wind battered, are doing great in pots but then they grow faster than the cucumbers and need the water. I tried to raise the soil a little in the middle of the pots when I planted and I water around the rim mainly.

Eliza

Karen
    Participant

Cheers Eliza, will definitely be extra cautious too… will wait till perhaps the leaves flop a little before watering again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags