Still harvesting great carrots!

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Still harvesting great carrots!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

JanGreen
    Participant

I decided to try the no dig method with a small bed of carrot seeds in late August and have had fantastic results!
    I have been pulling them from late November and still have many more to harvest.
    I was concerned that the cold weather would affect them but where the leaves from a nearby tree have fallen
    this has provided a natural layer of mulch and the carrots continue to thrive!
    I have to say I was sceptical at first as the ground I used had lettuce growing previously and was very compact. I did as you have suggested Charles and twisted out the old plants, with as little disturbance as possible to the soil, then put down a layer of compost and sowed the carrots with super results. They have in fact done better than the ones sown earlier in the year in dug ground.
    Thank you so much Charles for all your videos and advice!
    Best wishes for a great 2018!

charles

Thanks for your lovely feedback Jan, a great result as that was a late sowing too

Freed
    Participant

Couldn’t agree more. I tried for years to grow carrots but thanks to Charles and also to growing them in a polytunnel to keep carrot fly away I have had loads of delicious roots all year. Still got a few little, late-sown ones that I put outside once the carrot fly season was over.
    Also did the same with parsnips which I’d never had much success with. Now they’re fabulous. Just as tasty as when grown outdoors. One I pulled up to roast at Christmas weighed over 800g.
    Thank you so much Charles. Your advice is always based on sound practice rather than theory or tradition. You are definitely my guru. A very Happy New Year.

charles

Thank you Freed and that is all wonderful to hear, I wish you well for 2018.

Rhys
    Participant

Jan, I am also still pulling carrots due to a bumper harvest in 2017. To date, little damage despite a few frosts and four days covered in snow.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags