Stopping weed encroachment on edges of plot

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Stopping weed encroachment on edges of plot

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  herch 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

herch
    Participant

Hello,
    the rented house we have just moved to has a totally neglected walled garden of about an acre which I am excited to do some growing in. I am starting this year by establishing a basic veg growing area but wanted some advice on how to work with the edges of the plot. There are lots of perennial weeds, especially pernicious is ground elder.
    I have cut down vegetation in the area (18 m X 10 m) I will be spreading compost on, and the surrounds, and am in the process of piling on mushroom compost to a depth of 6ins as far as possible, but am wondering how you prevent weeds/grass encroaching from the edge of the plot into the new compost. I can keep the edge mown fairly short but Must I edge the edge with light excluding mulch? And if so, when this area is clean from weeds, how do I stop weeds on the edge of this bit encroaching??!

I have access to quite a lot of grass clippings – could I use these as a thick mulch all the way around the edge and on paths within the plot or will they be too attractive to slugs?? or does it need to be cardboard/black plastic?

Thank you Charles for all your inspiration, and excellent rescources, I am a huge fan.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags