Storing Carrots

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Storing Carrots

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  charles 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Big D
    Participant

Hi All

I have a nice crop of carrots this autumn with no sign of carrot fly so far, and am wondering how to store them. I have a couple of wooden boxes but not sure whether to put put dry or damp sand or compost between the layers. Can anyone help please?

charles

You have done well, I held off harvesting because it is so warm and the fly suddely got in there so I would not delay harvesting now. I put mine in sacks, just making sure the roots have some soil on. Or in your boxes, a little damp sand would be good, not wet, or potting compost, keep as cool as possible.

Big D
    Participant

Thanks for the advice Charles. I learned my lesson from last year when I had some lovely ‘Atumn King’ carrots but they had all been attacked by carrot fly so I was determined they wouldn’t get them this year!!! I used a simple barrier of 2′ (60 cm) which seems to have done the job. I will definitely do the same next year.

devonstew
    Participant

When I grew on a field scale, we would leave the carrots in the ground all winter, under a layer of straw, and this worked well for us.

charles

Fair point but probably less fly in a windy field (less sheltered than gardens)  and possibly less slugs if you were on free draining soil. 

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

Were your carrots meshed Charles? I harvested a few a week ago in Devon and they looked good with no damage – but have been and still are meshed. Would you say harvest now? Or wait till cold weather? Might be waiting till new year!

charles

Mine were not for winter storage but in the warm weather the fly damage has escalated rapidly, from nothing two weeks ago.

Yes if they are meshed, and slugs are not eating them, soil is a good place to leave them until cold weather arrives. Maybe in December for Devon!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags