Storing squash

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Storing squash

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Pete Budd 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Chode
    Participant

Hi Charles

I have just harvested my Crown Prince and Potimarron squash, as advised in your October update. I’ve never had success with them before, so this question has never arisen before – what are the best conditions to store them in? Do the skins need to be cured first? I have them sitting in my greenhouse at the moment.
    Regards

Chode

charles

Best bring them indoors, they keep longest and in best condition when the air is dry, and in a temperature of 10-20C.
    Nice that you had a good harvest!

Chode
    Participant

Thanks Charles,
    I suppose you could call 4 squash a ‘good harvest’, when my previous baseline was zero!
    Chode

devonstew
    Participant

Hi,

I have also just harvested all my squash, looks like a good harvest… :-)

Wondering what to with the beds now?

should I put some green manure in…vetch? or just leave the beds bare?

thanks

charles

Or you could plant garlic, or broad beans in a month.

"Leaving beds bare" is not really the right description as when they are mulched with compost of any kind, that is food and protection for the soil surface.

A green manure to sow now is white mustard, very fast to grow, then usually killed by hard frost. Whereas vetch is harder to deal with next spring. 

devonstew
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll ponder those

Pete Budd
    Participant

I find Grazing Rye very versatile for winter cover. Sow in rows between Sept upto early December depending on the weather.

Pete

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags