Sunlight

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 13 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hello Charles,

When you start plants off in the glasshouse/greenhouse, do you ever do anything to diffuse or limit the sunlight the plants receive?
    Also, as the conditions in a glasshouse/greenhouse are usually closer to outside conditions, do you ever have to resort to anything like ‘hardening off’ the plants started this way?

Thanks in advance…

JP

charles

I wonder how it became common practice to whitewash greenhouses in our climate where light is so precious. I always encourage and make the most of it. All seeds are started and grow in full light and warmth except for lettuce which, in hot sunny weather only, I germinate under the greenhouse bench.

Hardening off is standard and sensible practice, I find a day or two is enough and I do not bring plants in at night. It is often made to sound immensely complicated! Well raised plants in good organic compost are strong and sturdy. 

Hello Charles,

Thanks for the reply.
    I also noticed your brassicas in your April diary… they all look great! Do you keep them on a heated bench from germination (as well as under full sun) until they’re ready to go outside?

Thanks again…

JP

charles

Actually they spent about three weeks on the heated bench, then two weeks on an unheated bench, still in the greenhouse, and had been outside for a couple of days before that photo was taken. Brassicas are keen growers in relatively cool weather but some early warmth helps to set them on their way.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags