Sweet corn

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Sweet corn

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Flinnyo 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Flinnyo
    Participant

Hello everyone, I am planning my new bed planting and wondered if anyone could tell me if I can plant a row of sweet corn between my leek row in order to complete a block of planting? The leeks will follow broad beans and are 45cm apart in rows. I have room for two rows of sweet corn but would prefer a 3 row block but it would mean planting between the leeks (I don’t have much space!). I thought as the corn would be harvested around aug/sept I might get away with it- or am I being really too ambitious?! I was going to multi sow the leeks picking some young but leaving some for later in the year. I’m new to this so do be kind! 😬

Flinnyo
    Participant

Sorry scrap that question lol! I’m scrapping the sweet corn idea as it’s just not feasible in the space… think I might use the space to pop a winter Squash on a tripod instead, or courgette…or…😆

Cleansweep
    Participant

I plant my leeks out as plants (pencil thick) in rows only 8″ apart,4″ between leeks ,in jUNE/july.I often use them to replace broadies.
    Sweet Corn would be planted out mid May, normally as a block or square, 12″(300mm) each way, so as not to cast a shadow onto a lower crop. If you want a succession of corn, grow a few of differing varieties. They may cross pollinate, pollination is best when the crop is a block, success whichever way the wind blows!

Flinnyo
    Participant

Thanks for responding cleansweep! I’m slowly ploughing my way through creating a plan for 3 new beds! I’ve only really grown a few basics before in one bed, so trying to get my head around succession planting etc! I guess this first year is more about finding out what grows well here and what doesn’t.. and volumes obviously! At least I don’t need to worry too much about crop rotation as sadly I will need to move the beds to a new location in a couple of years as we develop different bits of the garden (and the kids grow a bit more and don’t need so much grass!) I’m hoping to post my plans in the next few days to get some feedback on them- if I’m way off base etc… very excited to get going! 😀

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags